"When did you write a book?"

If I had a nickle for everytime I've heard that one this week...

I guess I surprised a lot of people with my sudden "coming out" as a writer.  I still don't know that I would consider myself a writer, yet.  I feel I'm more a person who writes.  Just like I identify myself as a person who dances, but not a dancer.  I guess I feel that those artistic talents, writing and dancing, are crafts that are mastered and perfected.  I dabble in both as enjoyment and recreation, but do not feel that I have any sort of mastery.

Anyway, a lot of people have asked me when did I write Good Intentions.  I finished it two summers ago, but now, I can't remember when exactly I started it.  I think sometime the winter before.  I wrote a little, and then let it go until the summer, when I was able to bang the rest of it out.  Unfortunately for and unbeknownst to me, the end of the summer is when the publishing world goes on vacation, so the first 20 or 30 agents I sent it to probably did not really even consider it.

I like to read.  And since I've had an e-reader, I read a lot more.  There are new books at my fingertips all the time.  However, I'm also a little cheap when it comes to buying books.  I don't like to spend a whole lot, so I tend to get the free or inexpensively priced books (usually under $5). I read pretty fast, so if I bought higher priced books, I could end up going into serious debt.  I've read some great books, but I've also read some not fabulous books.  I realized that Good Intentions would be perfect for the e-reader market.  An inexpensive book that is an entertaining, light read.  Somewhat humorous, somewhat serious, hopefully enjoyable.

Even though I'm going the self-publishing route right now, I still have dreams of a book deal with an eventual physical book that I can hold in my hands.  I'm hoping that the people who buy Good Intentions (and enjoy it) write favorable reviews, and it takes off selling.  I'm looking into getting some physical copies printed so that I can send them to different media outlets to get more word of mouth.

I sat on my bed, computer on my lap, 90's music in the background and wrote Good Intentions.  But getting the book out there has become a community effort, and I need to thank those people.  I had some great readers to help with editing, making sure things make sense, and just plain encouragement that this was worth pursuing.  Michele, Sue and Mom, thanks for being the first to read it!  Cahren and Maureen, I know I jumped the gun with publishing, but you guys can read it now and write some nice reviews (or if you hate it, please DO NOT write a review).

I also got some (ok, a lot of) help from some fellow Catholic Central High alum who are successful published writers in their own accord.  After you finish Good Intentions, check out Dennis Mahoney and Eric Devine.  Dennis' debut novel, Fellow Mortals, was wonderful, and Eric is about to launch his third book, Dare Me.

Thank you to everyone who has purchased the book so far.  Thank you for taking a chance on me.  Thank you for telling your friends and trying to spread the word.

Thank you all for helping one of my dreams come true.

On sale now for Nook and Kindle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

This Is My Last Post

Miss Chick Lit