Is it only Monday?

You know you're in for it when your alarm doesn't go off first thing Monday morning and you oversleep.  Then, when you get to work, you promptly get a phone call because you were supposed to be at a meeting somewhere else.  Yep, one of those days...

I was very scattered this morning, which is not really like me.  But I have good reason to be scattered.  In the midst of a crazy busy weekend, I decided to sit down and try to finish reading what I have on my second book.  Since retrieving my hard drive, I've been re-reading my writing, trying to figure out where to go with the story.  I knew I was about to wrap it up, but wasn't sure exactly how I was going to do that.  I had gone into writing this story with a preconceived notion about where it was going.  But once I got there, I changed my mind.  Anyway, after I got the kiddos in bed last night, I decided to read what I had written.  I got to the end, and it was literally in the middle of the scene.  An idea jumped into my head and I just started writing.  And as I wrote the scene, I realized that this was it.  I was able to wrap up the story.  I was done.

I had finished my second novel.

I'm not sure about this one.  It's totally different than Good Intentions.  This one is told from the third person, rather than the first.  There is no humor in this one-- it is darker and heavier.  I felt like I was trying to expand my writing chops so to speak while working on this one.  Some of it is definitely stepping outside my comfort zone.

I learned that in this process, the people who read your book prior to release are called Beta readers.  Right now, my book is with my Alpha reader.  She is the first person to read anything I write, and if I ever make it big someday, she's going to be the person who keeps me in line and keeps me from missing meetings.  (Obviously, she slacked off this morning.)  Because this novel is so different from the last, I'm more nervous about the story line.  But now that it's done, I can revise and tweak and edit (and correct and correct and correct).  But that is all I want to do.  I want to get this one moving.

Now comes some big decisions...do I try to get an agent and publishing deal, or do I stick with the Indie route?  What about a cover?  My last cover was one that I designed (using the CreateSpace program) with a photograph that I took.  In a perfect world, I would hire a photographer and model for this one.  I know what I would like the cover to look like, but I'm not sure I can make that happen.  I have a tentative working title, but I'm holding on to it for right now.

So, this is where my mind has been today.  Good thing I got dinner in the crock pot this morning and hopefully won't have to think too much for the rest of the day.  I can't believe it's only Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

This Is My Last Post

Miss Chick Lit