Trolling

A few weeks ago, I thought I had made it big time in the blog world because I wrote a guest post.  I was wrong...I really made it now.  I got my first Internet Troll!

In case you were wondering, here's what Wikipedia has to say about internet trolls:


In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtrl//ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5]

Basically, I describe an internet troll as the world's biggest loser.  This is a person (or people, because I'm certain there are a whole lot of them out there) who gets his or her kicks from reading blogs and posting nasty comments just to make trouble.  These people are cowards, hiding behind the name of "Anonymous" and attacking people who are using the internet to express themselves.  Some people would consider these trolls as bullies, but I don't.  Bullying involves an imbalance of power, like an older child picking on a younger one, or the federal government imposing ridiculous education mandates on our children in return for financial reimbursement.  These trolls have no power.  They are weak, miserable people who think that putting others down will make themselves feel better.  They particularly prowl parenting blogs, and will attack a parent who has a sick child or who has lost a child.  These trolls are disgusting cowards.  

I feel badly for the people who are vulnerable, like following the loss of a child, that are attacked by these scummy trolls.  It is really just pitiful that adults resort to this behavior for amusement.  Play Candy Crush instead.  It is no more productive, but at least it is not destructive.
I write for me.  I write because it helps me.  I hope my friends and family, and even complete strangers enjoy reading what I've written.  I understand that not everyone will agree with me all the time.  I write what is MY opinion, knowing that not everyone supports it (but they should).  If it offends you, then don't read it. 

And if you must comment negatively, have the balls to put your (real) name on the comment.  

Comments

  1. My, my this provoked quite a reaction. It was meant as tongue in cheek. Such, as you know a TV show has peaked when they start running the clip shows. And I posted it as Anonymous because I don't have an account, nor do I want one, but you can ascribe whatever reasons you like to it, but it was not for lack of guts. You may want to save this nasty response for when you have to respond to some real criticism. Your brother, Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know whether to be disappointed that I wasn't really trolled, pissed off that it was you who wrote the comment in the first place, or embarrassed that I went off when you were just trying to harass me as per usual. With the comment being unsigned, it seemed like an unprovoked attack. Having your name on it gives it a context and, although still not supportive, could have given me bearing as to where it was coming from. And the truth is, although my blog was not one of them apparently, sites are frequently trolled by weak people who get their rocks off at putting others down.

      I hope, now that I've done the flashback montage, my blog does not jump the shark.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

This Is My Last Post

Miss Chick Lit