I'm Still Here...

...But reporting from a different location.

Last week, my computer died.  I think I'm still in shock, because I haven't even cried.  But that's mostly, because, after my hubby took it apart, and diagnosed it with a "blown mother board," he promised me that he can retrieve all my stuff off the hard drive.  (Why is it the mother board that fails?  I take this personally.  Why can't it be a failed father board?  Just sayin'...)

I'm trusting in that.

'Cause if it's not true, I may just totally loose it.

It all started last week.  On Tuesday, the kids were due to go to a make-up session of camp.  When they go to this camp, I usually pack up my computer and go to a coffee shop and write while the kids are at camp.  But I wasn't feeling it.  I had a post-birthday party hangover from Sophia's weekend/Monday festivities.  Oh, and I'm totally stuck with my story.  So, Tuesday dawned dark and rainy, and the kids didn't want to go to camp, and it was fine with me. We rescheduled for Thursday, and I was sure I'd totally be in the writing mood by then.

Thursday comes, and I deposit the kids at camp.  I make it to the coffee shop and am determined to get some school work done first.  So, I turn on my computer.  And...nothing.  Well, not nothing, it has power, but the screen remains black and it starts beeping these horrible beeps at me.  Like it's yelling at me for being an irresponsible computer user or something. I call my husband and try not to freak out.  Because I'm an idiot.

You see, I'm stuck on my book.  But it's also about 75% of the way done (first, very rough draft).  And it's not backed up.  I'm an idiot.

Yes, I have a flash drive.

Yes, I have an external hard drive.

But they only work when you use them.

I have been emailing my work to a friend for review, but I had not sent her the last four chapters.  I guess I could re-create those, but I may have to bang my head upon something hard, if it comes to that.  It would not be a total loss, but certainly a setback.

I also store pictures on my computer.  I do try to back those up regularly, and had just uploaded a bunch to Snapfish, so there might be some loss there, but it would not be catastrophic.

We went away on Friday morning, and just got back last night, so we haven't had time to try to retrieve my data.  I'm totally going with the whole, "it will all be fine" mantra.

I do have to get a new computer.  I'm using my hubs right now, and that will be okay in the interim, but I'll need something for long term solution.  Plus, his keys have a little space in between each one, and it's really throwing me off.  I make a lot of typos anyway, but this is making it ten-times worse.

I'm trying to use this time to figure out what to do in my book.  I know where I want to go, but not sure of how to get there.  Of course, I want to be able to read what I had already written.  

In the meantime, lots of unpacking, laundry, and getting ready for school to do around here.  Gonna try to keep going on the book, one way or another.  I'd like to finish it before I go back to school, but that may not happen at this point.

Oh, and keep your fingers crossed for an intact hard drive.   Otherwise, please don't comment when you see me and I have great big bumps on my head from banging my head against the wall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

This Is My Last Post

Miss Chick Lit