This Is My Last Post

This is my last post ... while I'm in my 30s. Tonight, while I sleep, before the cats and my bladder wake me up, I'll turn forty.

I'm not thrilled.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that age is a number. However, as I battle wrinkles, acne, and gravity, not to mention stiff joints and terrible eyesight, sometimes I feel like age is a real thing. On the other hand, about five or six years ago, I was sick and the doctors didn't know what was wrong. I was tested for tons of things, including myeloma and lymphoma. One doctor thought I may have a form of vasculitis that only had an 80% 5 year survival rate. I remember thinking that there was a 20% chance I wouldn't see forty. Luckily for me, that's not what it was, and I'm alive and kicking.

So, rather than focus on the negative, I'm going to think about the great things that have happened over this last decade. I do have to give my mom props for starting off my 30th year with a surprise party on New Year's Day, 2006. She totally got me, and I had NO IDEA!

The past decade has had highs and lows. I've had to say good-bye to too many people, including my grandmother and two of my uncles. We've had other health scares too. But as long as I'm here, I'm going to appreciate the good things in my life.

Here are some of the best moments of the past decade:


2005: I miss this adorable little face.
2005: My dad loved watching Noggin. Maybe more than Jake.






2006: The day I became Dr. Biel. I couldn't have done it without tons of help from my parents.

2006: Remember that time we decided to put a second story on our house? Yeah, that was a scary day.

2007: For the most part, it worked out.


2007: Jake turns 3. And little did he know, he was getting a little sister for a present.

2007: Celebrating my parents' 40th wedding anniversary

2007: Our family was complete with the addition of Sophia Dorothy


2008: Four generations of (stubborn) females

2009: Whether we were ready or not, Jake was done with preschool and off to Kindergarten

2010: The best thing in my life. Always.

2010: At the age of 35 (literally on my 35th birthday), I got to dance the role of the Sugarplum Fairy.

2010: My technique was not the best, but it was a crowning moment of dance, 25 years in the making for me.

2010: Not to mention it was the first time I got to wear a tutu.

2012: Whether Kindergarten was ready or not, Sophia was on her way.

2011: The kids fell in love with Cape May, just like I did as a kid.
2012: Reconnecting with a high school acquaintance turned out to give me my best friend in life. 


2012: We're going to Disney World!
2012: Sophia celebrates her 5th birthday in Disney.
2012: We clean up pretty respectfully, don't ya think?
2013: I'm a published author!
2013: My first official head shot

2014: Another trip to Disney, this time for Jake's birthday. My dad and I tried (and failed) to drink our way around the world.
2014: New hair, new head shot. This is the book signing for my third book.


2015: Book signing for my fourth book, with my Kindergarten teacher.

2015: Sophia made her First Communion and the church didn't fall down. Also, I made her dress and veil, and it didn't fall apart!

2015: In Cape May, playing Skee Ball with the kids. Teaching them the important things in life.

2015: Taking time to enjoy sunrise walks with my dad. Time well spent.
So, as I get ready to go to bed (yes, it's early, but at my age, it's always wise to retire early), I can say I've accomplished a lot in this decade. A child, a doctorate, a massive home renovation, 3 jobs (this last one is my forever job--forever until retirement that is), and published five novels and a novella. All while being the best wife, mother, and daughter I could.

You know, all in all, the last ten years have been pretty good to me. Here's to the next ten!

Comments

  1. Great post! Love all the pictures. Happy, Happy birthday! I hope you have the best day!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you have a doctorate! The things you learn :). Happy 40th!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

Miss Chick Lit