Immortal Words

I should be writing. I guess I am, this blog. That is not what I should be writing. I should be writing my next novel. I'm in the home stretch, the last 25%. I need to buckle down and finish it.

But, for the second time this week, I find myself watching movies on TV rather than writing. (Seriously, when people ask me how I find the time to write and I tell them I stopped watching TV, I'm not kidding. I really should turn the TV off right now.)

Two days ago, I watched Gone With The Wind. Well, part one anyway. I fell asleep during the intermission. It was 11:30 p.m. and need to get up at 6, so that was probably a good thing. Tonight, I'm watching The Silence of the Lambs. And I've discovered a common theme.

And now you're all scratching your heads trying to figure out what that theme can possibly be. I'll give you a hint. It's why I should be writing right now. Books.

Gone With The Wind is my favorite book. I remember how disappointed I was when I saw the movie after reading the book. However, it's been a while since I've read it or seen the movie. Watching it the other night, the dialogue gripped me. I remembered why I loved the story and am desperate to find the time to read it again.

I read and reread The Silence of the Lambs while in high school. I did my senior paper on it. I think I thought I was being cool and edgy. Watching the movie, I remember how consumed I was with both Red Dragon (the first Hannibal Lecter book) and The Silence of the Lambs.

Both Oscar winning movies with Oscar winning performances. Both based on books that changed me in some way and have stayed with me all this time (my definition of a 5-star book). Both paperbacks still sit in my bookcase and will never leave. My copy of GWTW is actually my mother's from when she was in high school and has fallen apart.

I just wish I could write a piece of literature that stays with someone for twenty years. Seventy-five years even.

It won't get done if I'm blogging here, so I'll just leave you with this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Life Was Changed By A Standard Comma

This Is My Last Post

Miss Chick Lit